Friday, May 13, 2011

Things to See and Do

I came across this article in the East Bay Express, and the show looks really interesting!

Slow Food at Arts and Consciousness Gallery

Claudia Marseille, Jenn Shifflet, and Ellen Vogel, three graduates of John F. Kennedy University's Arts and Consciousness program, make the case for their alma mater's new-age/old-school values in Odyssey of Transformation: A Quest for the Genuine.Marseille paints "an interior terrain" populated by memory and perception. In "The Journey Home," "Foreign Lands," "I Can't Return," and "A Bit of Pink," she creates richly textured abstractions in translucent encaustic that invoke geology, archaeology, and anthropology — apt allusions for an artist who went on digs in her youth and sees culture as embodied psychology. The works also contain hints of her travels to "the souks, the spice markets, old peeling stucco walls, fabrics, ruins of past civilizations, and the multicolored reflections found in ponds and lakes" in Mexico, India, and Morocco.

I said it last time, and I will say it again--I STILL really want to go to this Gallery and get inside that gorgeous building! I have a terrible confession to make. I keep posting to these events, but then I only get to the Art Murmur, where I am happy as all get out to chat with customers (so blessed with positive feedback so far). Then I miss getting my inspiration batteries charged up with seeing other people's work.

Let's all do it together? Message me if you want to be my travel companion to one of these places, and I will try to pry myself away from the yarn.

I DID get to a recent gallery exhibit though, and I will link here again when the post is up.



Mark your calendars for May 21, 2011, and Murmurama! More details here.
It's going to be
in Downtown Oakland, CA, Between 23rd and 26th Streets, between Telegraph Ave. & Broadway. Lots of galleries in one place.


Another great event from California Lawyers for the Arts:

May 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, 50 Fremont Street, San Francisco, CA 94105-2228







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, feedback, or suggestions? Let us know here: